Monday 13 August 2007

Meteor watch

meteor watching is a cold thing to do in the winter on a windy hill.
the air was reasonably still, clouds weren't too bad, although they kept sweeping slowly past the part of the sky that I was watching. During the day you don't see the number of planes high up in the sky but at night you do when they flash their lights. There are so many of them going in different directions.
The Milky Way was so clear as it weaved hazily across the sky and the black canvas was strewn with silver twinkles that sometimes flashed a wink at me and who ever was looking.
Oh yes, the meteors, well I saw a couple and it wasn't because I was looking in the wrong direction. It will be interesting to see what the astronomers say about the display but even though I'm out in the country and don't have to contend with the lights of the city, I didn't see many in the two hours I stayed outside watching before I decided it wasn't worth being outside in the cold waiting for that elusive meteor or two to pass by .
Maybe I'll find a photo of a Perseid meteor and post it here just to remind me of how much I didn't see.

No comments: